Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Childlike Wonder

Today I beheld something truly beautiful: the faces of young children hearing the Christmas story for the first time.

At Baker School I taught a lesson on the Christmas story- I read the entire story to them from Luke and then handed them bits of the story on pieces of paper, out of order. They had to work together to put the entire story back together in order, which meant that they had to listen carefully to the story and comprehend it.

I can't express in words what a beautiful thing it was to see the faces and expressions of these children. Most of them already knew the story, but there were about five students in each class that listened to me with rapt attention, and later confirmed by a show of hands that it was their first hearing. They actually had no idea what was going to happen to Mary and Joseph and the baby Jesus. Their faces alternated between wonder at the angels, concern for the characters, confusion as to why a King was born in a stable, comprehension, awe...How often we hear this story and other stories of the Bible, but don't actually hear it in the way that we first heard it? How often do we forget to be filled with wonder?

I made a point of asking the students hearing it for the first time what they liked about the story. A couple of their responses: "I liked the way the angels talked to the people and protected the baby Jesus the whole way." Another said, "I like the way they were looking for a King but the King was just a baby." What beautiful, profound thoughts they had! I pray that they would continue to think about this story and that God would reveal Himself to them through it!

When was the last time you really thought about the Christmas story? Really thought about God coming in the form of a helpless baby, the Word Himself unable to speak words, the creator of the universe totally reliant on his two frightened young parents? It really is unbelievable and breathlessly beautiful.

Today, when I saw the wonder in these students' faces, I felt as though I too became a little child again. The Christmas story is so much more meaningful to me here than it ever was back home. I feel in awe of it, and feel like I never really thought about it before.

I also recently watched the movie "The Nativity Story" with some friends at the hostel. If you haven't seen this movie, you really should see it. It really brings the Christmas story to life in a beautiful, humble way.

Today when I left Baker School, thoughts filled my mind: why has it taken me so long to feel this awe about the Christmas story? Is it perhaps because I was always way more concerned with Christmas presents and trees and cookies and all of the other stuff? Maybe.
Whenever I start to think, "I deserve...," may I remember that the God of the Universe came to earth to two terrified young adults giving birth next to cows and sheep, being wrapped in rags, and laying in a dirty trough.
It is so amazing that God came in this way.

Father, give us childlike wonder at the story of Your birth, as though we are hearing it for the first time.  
Christmas star outside my porch


My Christmas tree on my door! Thank you, Tom & Carol! 

1 comment:

  1. Very beautiful, Claudia, have a wonderful and blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete