Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Last Rehearsal


A very big part of my time in India was the Kottayam Mixed Voices. Known as the best choir in Kerala, I sang with this group for their Christmas concert. When they began rehearsing for their spring Passion Recital, I began to lead their rehearsals. I am so thankful to Abey Sir, the director, for his humble and noble gesture of allowing me to direct his choir for a few months. These were some of my very favorite moments in India, and the echoes of the songs we shared together still linger in my mind. I am so amazed at the opportunity I had to work with them. Rehearsing Mixed Voices quickly became the highlight of my week. I have never worked with a group so receptive and so malleable. They truly trusted me and tried everything I asked them to do, sometimes too much! :) They were so very eager to learn and soaked up everything during rehearsals, all the while with smiles on their faces. I am so thankful to them for the trust that they gave me, and their great willingness to try new things with me and to explore new sounds and new ways of making them.

Over the span of a few months, I was AMAZED at their rapid progress. I felt like they were clay in my hands and God allowed me to experience such a deep joy in molding and shaping their sound. I feel that they were a different choir by the end of our rehearsal time together, which is greatly attributed to their trusting hearts and open attitudes. 

Our last KMV rehearsal was on Saturday, April 30th. I will never forget this rehearsal. I had been teaching the Choir Directors Program all afternoon and as part of the last class, the directors came to watch the Mixed Voice rehearsal to see what they had learned about rehearsing in application. We recorded all the pieces at this rehearsal, as well as videorecording my conducting. The next day was our big performance.

Rehearsal went late, but when we finished, everyone sat down in the Great Hall and Abey Sir invited me to, as well. They had a wonderful surprise send-off for me. Abey Sir spoke about the changes he had seen in the choir, and then three members of the choir gave speeches, Regi Sir, former Principal of CMS; Mohan Uncle, Ann's uncle and a retired navy commodore, and my dear friend Jibi Jacob. Their speeches were filled with thanks and comments on the things they had learned from my time with them. I was so grateful and surprised by this incredible show of support and love. I delivered a response speech, in which I found it so difficult to adequately express my thanks to them, and then was given a beautiful silver necklace and earrings set from the Mixed Voice family. I never want to forget any of their faces or any of the moments we shared together.

Finishing touches
Surprise send-off
Regi Sir's speech
My dear friend Jibi
Mohan Uncle


Lovely silver necklace & earrings set
Response speech
Ending as we always end rehearsal-in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment