Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Room With a View

(Yes, being a dork, I have now used two different titles of E.M. Forster books as blog titles.:)

When I moved in, the first thing I was told was, "You have a room with a view!" So here it is: A room with a view. A view of my room.

 Scarves draped on my bed. I had to buy blankets, as most Indians do not use blankets at night. I use two :)
The patio
 Wardrobe, and photos of friends and family, along with some Monet
 My cabinets and table (all covered with pictures-friends and family surrounding me!)
 There are three rooms: the bedroom, and this a little kitchenette area, with a WASHING MACHINE!?

 Reading corner
My bathroom. Bucket baths-thought I wouldn't like them, but they're really quite enjoyable! And I have a hot water heater!

 Drying rack on the patio
I've begun my Malayalam lessons and try to have one every day-notice the title of the one book: "Learn Malayalam in 30 Days." Yeah right!

Now I need to tell you something: at first when I moved into my room, I thought, "Well, okay, this is nice." But I quickly learned that this room was SO much more than nice: it was entirely done up, refurnished, and rewired just for me. It is BY FAR the nicest room in the building. The wardrobe is new, everything cleaned...they even repainted the room and retiled the bathroom for me. I can't believe how much special treatment this room received.

I have a washing machine. No one else in the building has a washing machine. I have a hot water heater. Every other person in the building takes cold bucket baths. I have a PATIO-a complete luxury. I have a power generator for some extra minutes of power when the power goes out. Drying rack, sinks, some dishes, even some fluffy towels, extra plastic chairs for guests... Everything was bought and set up for me: cleaning supplies, cabinets, shelves, all set up for me.

I am just so humbled. This room, with all of this love and care and work having prepared it, is an absolute palace in this place. I really don't deserve all of this special treatment, but I am so very grateful for everyone who prepared this place for me and strives to make me feel as home as possible. I feel surrounded by love and kindness in this room, knowing all the love that was put into preparing it.



No comments:

Post a Comment