Thursday, September 1, 2011

Sleep Over Bahrain

The evening hangs beneath the moon
A silver thread on darkened dune.
With closing eyes and resting head,
I know that sleep is coming soon.


There are moments in your life where you just know that God is right beside you, moments where you can just imagine Him with you. There are moments that takes your breath away, like the feeling of a hand slipping into your own unexpectedly. Moments where nothing moves.

I had one of these moments on our flight to Bahrain the other day. I was flipping through the radio channels on the airplane. There was the recitation of the Qu'ran channel, other Arabic music, a pop channel... We were somewhere over Turkey. I had just put my earphones in and was going through the channels when suddenly, out of nowhere, I heard Eric Whitcre's "Sleep." (If you haven't heard this piece, please listen to it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xn_Qo_WXMg, or the virtual choir version here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WhWDCw3Mng&ob=av2e)

For those of you that know me, you know that this piece is probably one of my top favorite five pieces ever. First of all, I've never once heard this on radio in the US at any time. For me to just put my earphones on in the middle of a flight and hear this right between the reading of the Koran and Middle Eastern pop...I couldn't even breathe. It's like a three minute song-but it just happened to be on right then.

I honestly felt like God had that song play there just for me. The voices yearned and stretched to new heights, the harmonies breathlessly close together, soaring, achieving more height and depth and width as we soared through the clouds and golden rays of sun somewhere above the Middle East. I felt each note reach all the way into me like a drop of hot liquid, warming my soul. I couldn't move or breathe.

It was like God had just sat down next to me and took my hand. He knows exactly what He's doing. He is right here with me, with us, and right there with you where you are, too.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is incredible Claudia. That was definitely God's work, because I've never even heard that on WQED, let alone a radio station on a plane flying over the Middle East!!! God sure loves you :-) and so do I!

    ReplyDelete