Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My Pageant Debut, or Lots of Making a Fool of Myself

As previously stated, one never knows what is going to ensue in a day in the life in India. You'd think by now I'd be used to things like teachers coming into my class to choose three 5th graders to participate in the mid-day fashion show at Baker School, but no. Or receiving roses and pink flowers from boys I have never seen before on Valentine's Day. Every day in India is filled with many moments of surprise and laughter.

Recently, excitement has been reaching fever pitch at Lea Hostel where Hostel Day is approaching. The school year will end by April and the 3rd DC and 2nd PG students will graduate, so Hostel Day is a big day of celebration for all of the girls at the hostel before graduation. Though Hostel Day itself is this Thursday, the 23rd, there have been many days of exciting activities leading up to it. Each evening, there have been fun events at the hostel, including, but not limited to:
  • a poster-making competition
  • "Fancy Dress," which is basically a fashion show
  • Love-letter writing....?
  • quiz competition
  • Song and dance competition
  • A "newspaper dress" competition, which I judged, where the girls made outfits out of newspaper
Poster-making competition with Ledu, Shalu, Sherina, and Bincy
Newspaper dress competition: "Brutus" from Julius Caesar!
Ledu was Osama bin Laden...?
Awesome
A couple of Saturdays ago was Sports Day, a day filled with fun games out in the hostel yard, many of which were similar to what we play back home but with a twist. There was a game like Hot Potato, three-legged race, potato-sack race, and something called "Steal the Coconuts." I had fun participating in new games (to me) as well, such as the candle race where you have to run holding a lit candle, careful it doesn't go out, the Frog Jump race, and the Thread-the-Needle race, where you have to thread a needle while running. Yes, these girls can actually do that. Blows my mind. I can't even thread a needle standing still, so when it was my turn I tried for a few second and then just gave up and ran without threading the needle, which the girls thought was hysterical. I was also really really bad at the water race, where we had to cup water in our hands from a bucket and race to the other side to pour it into a bottle. Every time I got to the bottle, my hands were empty. It was wonderful to flub around and make a fool of myself in front of the girls, all day long, and to share with them in all their joy and excitement.

My personal favorite was the bread-jumping contest: girls stood in a row with their hands tied behind their back and had to jump up and down to try to catch a piece of bread in their mouths that was hanging from a string on a rope that someone was swinging up and down. It was pretty much impossible, and the girls looked like fish jumping up and down for a loooong time! I also took the opportunity to teach the girls some games we play in the U.S., like a wheelbarrow race and Stella-Ella-Hola (Girl Scouts, anyone?) It was a great day of much hilarity, water splashing, and all around silliness.
Thread-the-needle race. One of these girls can't thread a needle-guess which one? :)
FROG JUMP
Hot-potato
The bread-jumping game
Water race




Last Tuesday, on Valentine's Day, after dinner was the Miss Lea competition. I found out about this about 5 minutes before the competition, and I also found out that I was going to be a contestant. About ten girls in my room chose my outfit, did my hair and makeup and jewelry in about 2 minutes flat, while I received advice for different levels of the competition which I didn't know or understand yet. When I came downstairs, I realized that Miss Lea was a pretty serious deal! All the other contestants looked very professional and serious, practicing speeches. I thought this was just a joke, I thought. Maybe I shouldn't participate! At any rate, I went along with it. I was the last contestant, which was fortunate, because it took me a really long time at each round to figure out what was going on. We began with a catwalk down the mess hall (in front of the entire hostel), and introduced ourselves the the judges (Ann, Rinsy, and Sheny). We each presented a talent, and so I sang a stanza of a hymn because I had about thirty seconds to think of something. 

Then there was a round of impromptu speaking, where we were given a topic and then spoke for two minutes. Mine was "suicide." Oh my goodness, I have no idea what I said, but I did say something for two minutes. Then there was a question and answer session, where we were asked, "What is the thing that most needs to be improved at Lea Hostel, and how would you suggest improving it?" I literally said to the judges with a straight face, "The biggest obstacle facing the girls at Lea Hostel today is....how friendly all the girls are. Everyone is so caring and nice all the time. How can anyone get any work done?" before time was up.

After each round, a contestant was eliminated. Somehow I made it through all the rounds, because everyone was apparently enjoying watching me improv everything and make a fool out of myself. There was a quiz round on "Facts of Kerala" where I made up a bunch of ridiculous answers. Finally, there was the interview with the judges, where I was asked questions like, "What would you do first as President of the United States?" and "Did you pack your bags for Ooty yet?" ("No.") 

After a rigorous 2 and half hour competition, during which time I could never really figure out if this was serious or not, the results were announced-I had third place! :) If you would've told met that morning that that evening I'd be catwalking down the mess and impromptu speaking about suicide, I wouldn't have believed you. Or maybe I would have. After all, nothing is too funny or unexpected for a day in India. :)

Let me just finish by saying what fun it's been to have an opportunity every evening to make a complete fool of myself in front of the girls. They see me trip over myself, forget things, not be able to carry water in my hands or thread a needle, bust out laughing at inappropriate times, give completely wrong answers to simple questions....and it's all great. In fact, it has really helped our rapport with one another. I am so thankful for the opportunities to be so real and flawed in front of them. "Fools for Christ," right?
Theresa catwalks down the mess
Some of the contestants
Making up some nonsense in front of the judges
I don't know any of the answers....:)
With Theresa and Sehena

No comments:

Post a Comment