Sunday, February 5, 2012

Visit from Dad & Katie, Back to Work!

Dear friends-

It's been a long time since I've had a chance to blog, and now look forward to catching up on the events of the past few weeks. I have been blessed with a visit not only from my mom and sister, but also a visit from my father and stepmother this past week. My dad and Katie toured Agra and Delhi and then stayed in Kumarakom, 10 km from Kottayam, for four nights, where I stayed with them. They are currently in the Maldives for this week before returning to the U.S.

They arrived last Thursday and left on Monday, and I stayed with them at the Kumarakom Lake Resort during that time. The resort was extremely beautiful and afforded stunning views of the backwaters. Instead of rooms, the accommodations were in little two-floor villas. During our weekend there we spent lots of time enjoying the different pools: one pool that was right next to the lake and another which wound around the villas in the style of the backwaters themselves! So we literally opened our door to go right into the pool! Also adorning the resort were many lovely bridges, lanterns, hammocks, and lovely lawns. It was quite a contrast to suddenly find myself in such a place, and also to be with my parents.

On Friday we visited Lea Hostel and toured the college campus, and later had dinner with Gigi Sir, his wife Sunita, father Jacob, and son Joe. We also went shopping for churidar material for Katie and had a lovely blue and purple churidar made for her! On Saturday we took a half-day houseboat tour of the backwaters in Kumarakom and Allepey, for which we were joined by my dear friend and Malayalam tutor Shalu. We had a lovely day on the boat together, soaking in the rays and the beauty of this very special part of Kerala. The resort had demonstrations in the arts of mat weaving and pottery-making, and after our houseboat tour we learned about these crafts. We even wove a little coaster to keep as a memento, and then each made a small clay pot with the potter's help. Shalu was so excited to make and keep her very own pot, and promptly carved all our names into it! :)

On Sunday we had lunch with fellow YAV Rachel and then toured her site, Buchanan Girls School, where she teaches English to 5th-8th standard students. Afterwards, we visited with Cinny Miss, a dear friend and English professor from CMS, and her son. Monday morning was spent trying to meet as many faculty and students as possible on campus. It was a pleasure to introduce my dad and Katie to so many of the people I have come to know and love in my new home. (Please see the photos below of our visit, and if you want, check out my Facebook album Visit from Dad & Katie.)

On the home front: Things are vibrant and joy-filled at Lea Hostel, as usual! We recently had our Christmas Friend gift exchange (like Secret Santa). (Yes, recently, even though it's February, because they were waiting for me to return from my visit with my mom!) All of the girls assembled in a big circle in the yard and everyone's Christmas Friend was revealed as we exchanged gifts. My Christmas Friend, Nimi, a first-year, gave me a sweet cappuccino cup. :) I also found out the identity of my secret pen pal "Daffodil."

The CMS College campus has also had a variety of special events recently. Almost every day something special is happening on this dynamic campus. About three weeks ago was the Annual Benjamin Bailey Memorial Lecture, delivered by the former chairman of the ISRO, the Indian Space Agency, Dr. G. Madhavan Nair. He was given a guard of honor by the NCC, National Cadet Corps, before delivering his lecture on "Science and Technology Challenges."

A couple weeks ago, Gigi Sir organized a weekend event at CMS called FEEL: Facilitating Excellence in Effective Leadership. For three days students learned interactively all about self-confidence, identifying personal strengths, people skills, interviewing, ways of thinking, and so much more. This was a terrific program. Also, last week was alumni day, the Indian equivalent of our homecoming, with special programs and a special lunch.

My activities are resuming after a looong hiatus (Christmas and family visits in January). What a long break I had-took some time to remember what I was doing where! We've started having hostel English twice a week again, and are now learning about transition words, telling a story, and the differences and similarities between Indian and American dress. Currently there are about 8 girls consistently attending. I have also resumed seeing the PG Lit. students twice a week, and hope to resume seeing the Home Science girls as soon as they are available (haven't seen them since November!)

The Faculty Voice Program resumed this morning after a 2 and a half-month break, because of exams, Christmas, etc. Yikes, do we have a lot of reviewing to do! Excitingly, we have two new members. We meet twice a week, Tuesday and Thursday mornings before class, and are continuing our work on Kodaly rhythms, solfege, basic music theory, and voice training. I've resumed my Tuesday and Thursday visits to Baker Schools, where I teach music and English. The topic du jour: learning to sing "Amazing Grace" and Body Parts with "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" (not at the same time.)

I continue to meet weekly with Jemima for voice lessons. She recently was asked to perform a song as part of a student recital in Bangalore, and right after the recital she called me to tell me that her song, "O Had I Jubal's Lyre," went really well and to thank me! It was so incredibly sweet. We are now working on some new pieces, moving into "Der Nussbaum" and "Apres un reve." Sometimes, our music has French, an English translation, phonetics, and Malayalam all written on it at once. :) I'm also now having private voice lessons with Vimal Sir, a commerce professor at CMS and the college choir director. He is a good friend and a constant source of encouragement and support, who works with me to help plan out everything for the Choir Director's Program.

Kottayam Mixed Voices is now rehearsing for their Passion Recital in the first week of April, and I continue to sing with them and help lead rehearsals. I will meet with the Ascension Church Choir twice a month to help them rehearse and prepare for their Passion Recital, which will be held in late May. I am very thankful for these continued opportunities to sing and help out with these choirs, and even more so, to be among such great friends. God continues to provide abundantly with wonderful opportunities, deepening relationships, and a steady stream of new experiences through which to learn and grow.

Lea Hostel Christmas Friend gift exchange

Former chairman of the Indian Space Agency, Dr. G. Madhavan Nair
The meandering, backwater-esque pool at the Kumarakom Lake Resort
We could walk right out of our door into the pool!

The outdoor bathroom & shower

Dinner at the resort with Gigi Sir, Sunita, Joe, and Jacob Sir

Dock at the resort

Dad and Katie, enjoying the houseboat cruise


Visiting with Cinny Miss and her son, Nick
Houseboat at sunset on the lake
Katie had a churidar made! Doesn't she look so cute?
The entrance to our "villa:" had to brush up on my Parseltongue to open this door

1 comment: